Monday, October 5, 2009

#28: Richie Gaona's Trapeze School


WHAT: My first trapeze class

WHERE:
Richie Ganoa's backyard in Woodland Hills

TIME:
Sunday morning (our time slot was from 11:30-1, but our class went past 2. Talk about getting your money's worth!)

COST:
$45

THE MISSION:
Hang upside down on the bar by your knees , let go of the bar, and then let someone catch you on the other side o_O


RESULTS:
Mission Successful! Before coming here, I was afraid that I wouldn't even be able to hold onto the bar for more than 3 seconds. So when I completed the knee hang/catch, I was just flabbergasted... And oh-so-proud of myself too! :) The next day I did pay the price: sore muscles, sore neck, a mysterious bruise on my knee and some minor scrapes. It was so worth it, though, and three days later I was feeling like new.

WHAT TO EXPECT: The classes are mixed level with about
10 people total. There were 4 of us "first-timers" on Sunday, and we were given a 10 minute introduction on how to jump off the platform and how to hang upside down. We then took turns hanging upside down on a practice bar that was suspended close to the ground. After the brief run down, we were up up and away.


I didn't think I would get nervous up there on the platform, but I did. For a minute as you're waiting to get harnessed, you don't have anything on and you're standing on a wooden board that's a foot wide. Even with the net below you, it's freaky.

Once you jump, though, it's smooth sailing. We each got to jump about 7 times total. The first few times were just swinging back and forth, which was then followed by a knee hang and then a catch. My legs were shaky each time I finished, but I couldn't stop grinning from ear to ear. This was definitely one of the most exhilarating experiences of my life, and something I am so proud to have done. Once I get up the courage again, I'll take my next class and try the half turn catch.

By the way, Richie is a professional. He has worked with celebrities like Tom Cruise and Jackie Chan for movie stunts and he comes from a long generation of trapeze artists.

Go ahead and book a slot! If I can do it, so can you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment