Monday, August 16, 2010

#131: L.A.'s Best Desserts


I'm gonna need your help with this one. I don't have a huge sweet tooth, so I don't try a ton of desserts in L.A.. Here are some of my top picks, but this list is by no means a comprehensive one.

What are your favorite desserts in L.A.? Leave me a comment below!

Popcakes: I went to a dessert tasting event a couple of weeks ago put on by Savor Los Angeles. Most of the offerings were "meh", but Popcakes really stood out from the rest. It's just what it sounds like--cake in the form of a lollipop. I tried the chocolate (the blue one shown above) and the red velvet (the red one). The cake was so moist, and the flavors and textures were outstanding. They don't have a store front, but they do take orders online. The pops also come in star shapes. I think this would be a perfect party favor!

Maple Bacon Donut at Nickel Diner: This is a favorite of Brad's. I don't think any guy can resist bacon. The only problem is that Nickel Diner is in downtown, and the area can be kind of sketchy late at night. There's limited street parking as well.

Bacon Chocolate Crunch Bar at Animal: Another one of Brad's favorites. You see a theme emerging? The bacon chocolate crunch bar marries dark chocolate, peanuts and bacon... A perfect threesome! See #70: "Oh No You Didn't!" Desserts

Bulgarini Gelato, Pazzo's, Scoops: These are the three best gelato shops I've tried in and around L.A.. If you're feeling adventurous and in need of a sugar rush, hit them all up in the same day (#6: Do a Triple Gelato Run)!

M Cafe's macrobiotic desserts: For being relatively "good for you", these desserts taste so decadent. My favorites are their chocolate tart (I don't know the exact name, but it's a dark chocolate tart with gold leaf on it) and their carrot cake.

Bhan Kanom's coconut sticky rice and banana wrapped in banana leaf. Located in Thai town. I love this whole shop, but this dessert in particular calls out to me every time.


Subscribe to 365 LA

2 comments:

  1. great list! gotta try these...

    ReplyDelete
  2. check out my friend jenny's site: www.dessertdarling.com - she reviews desserts and is based in LA

    i have a strong sweet tooth and have been loving all the shaved ice from the summer, which i just blogged about today!

    http://theactorsdiet.wordpress.com/2011/10/07/fluff-ice/

    ReplyDelete