Saturday, September 12, 2009

#4: The Broad Modern Art Museum

(Photo from L.A. Times)

Sometimes I look at modern art and think "Am I missing something?" Basketballs in an aquarium tank filled with distilled water?? Blank stare, blink, blink.

Enter two artists discussing the meaning behind the Koons piece. My head starts spinning with all of their intellectualizing lingo. Is this for real? Do people really think like this?

In the end, it doesn't even matter. I think Koons' art is funny. The giant balloon dog takes me back to my childhood, the oversized cracked egg is pretty, and the gold statue of Michael Jackson is a masterpiece. A very odd masterpiece. I am a fan of you, Koons, even though I may not understand you in "that" way.

The first floor of the Broad holds even more amazing things: two huge steel sculptures that make you feel like an ant in an ant hill. Loved it! And the best part?
After 5 pm, it's pay-what-you-want.

Brad outside the Broad


No comments:

Post a Comment