Thursday, August 11, 2011

#203: Festival of the Chariots


I'm not a Hare Krishna, but my stomach is. At least once a week, you can find me at the vegetarian Hare Krishna restaurant Govindas for their $8 all you can eat buffet. Carob halwa forever!

The Hare Krishnas are famous for feeding people for free. Such was the case at the annual Festival of the Chariots in Venice a couple of weekends ago. Thousands turned out to accompany three decorated chariots on the march from Santa Monica to Venice's boardwalk. At the end of the parade, tourists, Hare Krishnas, curious bystanders and beach locals lined up for delicious free vegetarian food.

We caught the parade just as it was ending on Ocean Front Walk. The sight of everyone raising their hands to God and looking so happy as they marched to the beach touched my heart, and I admit that I even got a little teary. Once they reached the beach, the singing and dancing continued on two stages.






One of the most memorable stage acts was a Spanish rap group that chanted about Hare Krishna and yoga. During one of their songs, they had three people in front doing crazy yoga positions while they sang "Yoga! Yoga-na like it!" A couple of young skateboarders came by from the nearby park and started grooving with them, and then a dancing Santa joined them. Ah, don't you love Venice?


Yoga! Yogana like it!

The Festival of the Chariots is an annual event, so if you missed it this year, be sure to mark your calendars for next year's event!


Have you been to the Festival of the Chariots? What did you think of it? Leave me a comment below!

1 comment:

  1. Hello! Namaste! Jolene! I would just like for you to know that this blog article was posted and featured on my Facebook Page on 02 August 2012 and shared with all my students and page followers! Check it out! Thank you once again for writing such a delightful article with wonderful pictures and a very positive message! Well done! :) ♥♫•☆ Hare Krsna! ♥♫•☆ : ))

    ReplyDelete