Friday, March 26, 2010

#117: Cherry Blossoms at Lake Balboa




Spring is afoot and if you haven't got a ticket to Japan for cherry blossom season, you've got about a week or two to head over to the next best thing--the cherry blossoms at Lake Balboa in Van Nuys.

Brad and I headed out here on Thursday and the lake was busy with family picnics, young and old couples strolling hand in hand, and artists with paintbrushes and easels. Walking around the lake, showered with cherry blossom petals, there really wasn't a better way to spend a weekday afternoon.


The man made lake is filled with reclaimed water and is home to many different species of birds. In the nearby vicinity is also the Japanese Garden (#108), a golf course, an archery range and even a model airplane field. Pretty awesome stuff out there in Van Nuys--who would have thought??




Subscribe to 365 LA

5 comments:

  1. Love your blog!! I have been living in LA for over ten years, and I still often find places I never been. I just discover St. Vincent Court last couple of weeks, it's in downtown LA, 7th cross Broadway!!

    http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/tdh7IqlkXYc8A4V22OvVYw?select=QmVQHzSF-JgPBPIhqlEqzw


    V interesting little side street ^_______^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alina, Thanks for the info--I had never heard of this place! I'll have to check it out next time I'm in downtown. If you have any other suggestions, let me know :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow beautiful pictures. I am waiting for the trees to bloom! Cherry blossom events: http://www.japanese-city.com/calendar/events/p/cherry.php

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi- Isn't Lake Balboa in Encino, not Van Nuys?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems like it's in both cities: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Balboa,_Los_Angeles

    ReplyDelete